"I think that these workshops, though an initiative of ESOI this time, should be with the involvement and participation of all of us, the government, PATA, IHHA,TAAI, FHRAI etc… PRACTISING RESPONSIBLE TOURISM IS EVERY BODY'S RESPONSIBILTY not only to protect and preserve our nature, culture and heritage but also for saving our very livelihood which is travel and hospitality trade. We may necessarily not need another organisation or joint committee for this but a simple understanding, open mind and genuine concern."
- Mr. Steve Borgia, ESOI founder & governing body member and MD Indeco Hotels
NATIONAL LEVEL WORKSHOPS CONDUCTED – TO DATE
1. Delhi – September 27-28, 2008
2. Delhi – December 12-13, 2009
3. Cochin (Kerala) – March 19-20, 2010
4. Bhopal (Madya Pradesh) – April 30-May 1, 2010
5. Mahabalipuram (Tamil Nadu) – November 26-27, 2010;
6. Mahabalipuram (Tamil Nadu) - Sept. 6, 2011
7. Jammu (J&K) – April 6-7, 2011
8. Srinagar (J&K) - Sept. 26-27, 2011
9. Ladakh (J&K) - Sept. 30-Oct.1, 2011
10. Guwahati (Assam) – March 23-24, 2012
11. Aurangabad (Maharashtra) – April 27-28, 2012
12. Bhopal -2013 – April 18– 19, 2013 – (International Conference on Sustainable Tourism)
13. Chennai – 2016 – December 22, 2016
UPCOMONG WORKSHOPS : - :–
Dear Sir / Ma’am,
Ecotourism Society of India (ESOI) is pleased to invite you to its seventh & eighth workshops on “PRACTISING RESPONSIBLE TOURISM” scheduled to held as follows:
September 26 & 27, 2011—SKICC, Srinagar (J&K)
September 30 & October 1, 2011—Tourism Club House, Leh (J&K)
The workshop has been organised by ESOI with the support of J&K Tourism, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, and WWF India.
The Srinagar workshop also commemorates the World Tourism Day on the 27th September with a strong signal of Responsible Tourism becoming the only vehicle to ride on for a sustainable Tourism industry.
The workshops aim at setting corrective and curative measures with regard to TOURISM practices with ecological sensitivity and conservation of nature and community development in the region of Jammu and Kashmir. The challenge for the tourism service providers is in implementing environmentally responsible and sustainable tourism practices. These practices will not only create a lighter footprint but will support the local communities and environment.
Besides the Honourable Ministers of Tourism, J&K, Mr. Nawang Rigzin Jora and Mr. Nasir Aslam Wani who shall preside over the event, Mr. Omar Abdullah, Honourable Chief Minister of J&K Govt. is expected to give the valedictory speech.
Some of the eminent speakers participating in the workshops are Mr.Mandip Singh Soin FRGS, Dr. Venu V, IAS, Secretary Tourism, Government of Kerala, Mr. Ajoy Bhattacharya, CEO of Madhya Pradesh Ecotourism Devt. Board, Mr. Jose Dominic, MD, CGH Earth Hotels, Mr. Cherian Ramapuram, Director, Orange County, Mr. Saleem Beg, Convenor INTACH J&K, Mr. Pankaj Chandan – WWF India, Ms. Seema Bhatt – Consultant Biodiversity, Mr. Samir Sinha – TRAFF INDIA, Mr.Ritwick Dutta – Environmental Lawyer, Mr. Himanshu Lal – Architect, Dr Sameer Maithel, Director, Greentech Knowledge Solutions, Dr.Raghu Chandawat, Wildlife Biologist, Mr.Nima Tashi Bhutia, KCC.
Some of the key topics are:
1. Need for Responsible Tourism Practices in the Himalayas
2. Sharing models of International & Indian Best Practices.
3. Public – Private Partnership in Ecotourism initiatives
4. Protection of Heritage Buildings & Art & Cultural preservation
5. Wild Life Protection and its law
6. Ecological Architecture
7. Waste Management & Renewable Energy in usage.
8. Environmental Law and its relevance in tourism sector
9. Need for Ecotourism Certification
We cordially invite you to join this noble initiative and register your name immediately, using the attached registration form. The final program sheet would be sent to you after registration. The last date of receipt of advance registration is September 12, 2011.
Subsidized Registration Fee: Srinagar—Rs.1,500/-; Leh—Rs.500/- . Shall include 2-day’s lunch and refreshments. Accommodation for outstation participants being arranged at special rates with advance booking. All fees are non-refundable.
Arvind K Balan
GUJARAT - ON HERITAGE RURAL & SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
MAHARASHTRA - ON SUSTAINABLE RESPONSIBLE AND GREEN TOURISM